Bavaria is the largest of Germany’s federal states and one of the fastest growing and most dynamic locations in Europe. For Chinese companies it makes an excellent base for their European business – as demonstrated by the over 100 Chinese companies already having facilities in Bavaria. What companies particularly like about Bavaria is its central location in Europe, the gateway function to Central and Eastern Europe, accessibility to customers, availability of well-qualified skilled personnel and the proximity to the large Chinese community in Munich. Besides the Greater Munich Area, the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region is also a very popular site for Chinese firms. With currently close on 10,000 Chinese people living here, including some 3,700 in Munich, Bavaria is one of the Chinese strongholds in Germany.
Business relations between Bavaria and China:
- China has been Bavaria’s most important trading partner in Asia since 2002 (in the meantime well ahead of Japan), and ranks in 5th place worldwide (in 2008).
- For many years bilateral trade has been expanding at high double-digit rates: in 2008 a new trade record of approx. € 18.5 billion was set.
- Over 1,400 Bavarian companies already have business relations with China.
- More and more Chinese companies are investing in or acquiring holdings in Bavaria.
- Since 1987 there has been a very successful partnership with the Province of Shangdong and since 2004 also with the Province of Guangdong.
- In the meantime, a total of 12 twinning schemes have been established between Chinese and Bavarian towns, cities, regions and communities.
- Non-stop flights from Munich to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong as well as from Munich to Shenyang via Seoul ensure top-class links to and from China.
- Munich is home to the Chinese Consulate General, the private Chinese School along with other international schools.
Invest in Bavaria is the central contact agency for companies in the Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs. We give investors from Germany and abroad free information and assistance in setting up or expanding their companies. The services offered by Invest in Bavaria range from the very first steps along the road towards establishing a new business to the concrete search for a suitable site. Its location marketing activities for the State of Bavaria and the extensive support it offers to companies make the team of Invest in Bavaria an important pillar of the State of Bavaria’s committed economic policy. Bavaria actively supports the engagement of Chinese companies at the chosen location and has had a representative office in Shandong since 1997.